Friday, March 1, 2013

Bailey's Irish Cream & Chocolate Tapioca Pudding


In the spirit of St. Patrick's Day I decided to try a little something different. 
 
Since I was a little girl I have loved tapioca pudding...there's just something about that texture you get from the tapioca pearls. (and they're like chewing on little gummy bears too) Couple that with my introduction to the flavor of Irish Cream when Jelly Belly had their Irish Cream flavor jelly beans. As for chocolate, well let's just say that I'm pretty sure that there is a percentage of chocolate flowing through my veins on a regular basis.

So, I decided that I would create a partnership between the three this year...thus creating my Baileys Irish Cream & Chocolate Tapioca Pudding. Very simple to make...and you can make it for adults (with the alcohol kick) or for kids (by cooking out the alcohol or using Irish Cream flavoring instead). Let's just say that it was an absolute hit in my house!
 

So, first things first, I start by carefully cracking my egg. If you're a pro at separating eggs then by all means do the shell shuffle...or use your fingers as a strainer...I don't like getting egg on my fingers and really don't want to risk piercing my yolk on the shells, so I go for a literal strainer (a small one) to start with.



Then just spoon out my yolk and place it into a bowl until I'm ready to use it. And then scrape out the egg white from the strainer into the mixing bowl. Now, you could use a hand blender or stand mixer, but I figured that I'd just do the whipping by hand. I mean, why not get a little bit of a workout for at least one of my arms, right?


We're going to whip the dickens out of the egg white until it's nice and foamy...and stiff peaks can be made.

Then add in half of our sugar one tablespoon at a time. Whip between each tablespoon so that the sugar gets well incorporated.

After adding all of the sugar, keep whipping until the mixture is foamy and soft peaks can be made.  Look at it this way, you're toning those arms!

 
Since Charming had been a Type 2 diabetic, we don't really drink (and I knew that Grace would want some chocolate pudding), I decided to make a more kiddle friendly version by cooking off the alcohol...
(if you want the alcohol kick, then just melt the chocolate in the microwave. Use a microwave safe bowl or cup for 30 seconds, stir chocolate. If the chips are small lumps, try stirring for 30 seconds before putting them back in the microwave. If it needs longer, then continue melting at 10 seconds intervals stirring between each one.)


so we start off with the Bailey's Irish Cream. Pour it right into a small sauce pan over medium high heat and allow it to come to a boil.

Once at a boil, I lower the heat to medium and add in my 60% cocoa chips (or you could use semi-sweet chips if you prefer).

Stirring constantly to make sure that the chocolate doesn't just stick and burn on the bottom of the sauce pan, I allow everything to get nice and melted. After about 5 minutes of cooking (and a couple tastes), I remove the saucepan from the heat.

Then, in a medium sauce pan I go ahead and pour in my milk...


Then add in the tapioca pearls...

 

The remaining sugar gets to jump in. Give it a stir and let it sit for about 3 minutes.


Then add in my Bailey's Irish Creme & chocolate mixture to the sauce pan. Grab my whisk and get it well incorporated...



And then toss in my egg yolk. Give it a good whisking and then let it sit for another 2-3 minutes.

Turn the heat up to medium high, while stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a full boil. (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when being stirred)
 

Then remove the pudding mixture from the heat and immediately stir in egg white mixture.

Stir until well incorporated. I use a whisk, but a wooden spoon is perfectly acceptable for the job.
Then pour into a heat resistant bowl or dish...

And then cover with saran wrap. Laying the saran wrap onto the top of the pudding.
This will keep the pudding from developing a "skin" on top. Now, if you like the pudding skin...then go ahead and just place the saran wrap over the top of the bowl instead. 

TIP: To chill faster, pour the pudding into a 9x13 baking dish to cool.

Place into the refrigerator until chilled. Once chilled, top with whipped cream.

Serve & ENJOY! (that's exactly what I did while posting this recipe)

Love this blog? Please click the Top Mommy Blogs banner every day! This casts a vote for my blog today and helps me continue to get great products to share with you! You can vote daily! Thank you so much!

Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Bailey's Irish Cream & Chocolate Tapioca Pudding
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 6-10 minutes
Chill Time: 20-35 minutes
Servings: 4

Ingredients:
1 whole Egg, separated
6 Tbsp. Granulated Sugar, separated
1/4-1/2 cup Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur (or 6-8 drops Irish Cream flavoring)
1/4 cup Dark Chocolate Chips or Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 3/4 cups Milk, whole
3 Tbsp. Tapioca pearls (KRAFT Minute Tapioca)

Instructions:
In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg white until foamy and stiff peaks form. (if using an electric mixer, beat on high speed)

Gradually add 3 Tbsp. sugar, beating until foamy and soft peaks form.

In a small sauce pan, bring Baileys Irish Cream to a boil over medium high heat. Once at a boil, reduce heat to medium and add chocolate chips, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.**

In a medium sauce pan, add milk, egg yolk, remaining 3 Tbsp. sugar and tapioca. Stir and let sit for 3 minutes. Stir in Irish cream & chocolate mixture. Let sit for an additional 2-3 minutes.

Bring mixture to a boil over medium high heat. Stir constantly until the mixture reaches a full boil (a boil that doesn't stop when stirred).

Remove from heat and immediately stir in egg white mixture until well blended.

Poor into a heat resistant bowl or dish and cover with saran wrap. Cool in refrigerator for 20-35 minutes until chilled.

Top with whipped cream and serve!

**If you want the alcohol kick, then just melt the chocolate in the microwave. Use a microwave safe bowl or cup for 30 seconds, stir chocolate. If the chips are small lumps, try stirring for 30 seconds before putting them back in the microwave. If it needs longer, then continue melting at 10 seconds intervals stirring between each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment