Thursday, February 4, 2010

Cheesy Toasted Polenta with Mushrooms

 
 
I have never braved making polenta before…kind of how risotto still makes me nervous. The thought of a full pot of something that could be inedible just really causes me to shy away from attempting it. 
 
But then, when I see Chefs prepare it on Food Network, and just how effortlessly they do, it stirs up this incredible desire to just go for it. So I did! And here’s the recipe that resulted from that “go for it” attitude.
 
This really is an incredibly easy way to make polenta, and once you make it you realize just how very easy it really is to make. This is actually one recipe of which I am the only fan of...simply due to the texture. My hubby and kiddles don't like the texture of certain foods, like cream of wheat and apparently polenta. But, I have found another way to enjoy cornmeal other than corn bread...at least for myself.
 
I start by prepping my mushrooms. Grab a paper towel and start brushing off the dirt on the mushrooms. Usually I go ahead and just run them under water and pat them off...I know, that's exactly what you're not supposed to do, but I'm just being honest. In this instance, since we'll be tossing these into hot oil and butter, there is no way that I am going to put any water into that skillet. 
 
 
 
I slice my mushrooms from top to stem...such pretty slices
 
 
and then give them a rough chop them into smaller pieces.
 
 
Okay, time to attack the onion. I hate when I forget to use my little trick...snatched from Rachel Ray. (Thanks Rachel!) Place the onion in the freezer for about 15 minutes...this helps keep the fumes from releasing when you slice or chop an onion. Anyway, take the onion and remove the first layer of the onion. 
 
 

 
Get a good hold on the onion and then slice vertically...
 
 
turn 90 degrees on its side and slice vertically again. 
 

 
Then make sliced across the vertical slices...resulting in diced onion!
 
 
Take a medium skillet and place it onto a burner over high heat. Pour in some extra virgin oil and a pat of butter.
 
 
 
Allow the butter to melt completely.
 
 
Reduce heat to medium. Add onions to the skillet and allow to cook until they are soft.
 
 
Time to get my mushrooms into the skillet with the onions. 
 
 
As the mushrooms cook, they begin to brown and the whole skillet is filled with a wonderful sauce.
 
 
This time I pull out the chardonnay, basically because chardonnay is what I had on hand. 
 
 
And then I hit it with a little bit of the white wine.
 
 
Then quickly grab my fresh basil and Italian parsley, give them a quick rinse and a few pats with a paper towel.
 
 
 
 

 
These beautiful herbs are now ready to face the chopping the chopping squad.
 
 
Stir the fresh herbs into the onions and mushrooms. Just a quick stir, nothing lengthy.
 
 
Then remove it from the heat and let it sit until later.
 
 
 
In a large saucepan, bring water and chicken broth to a boil. When water/broth comes to a boil, add 1 Tbsp. of sea salt.
 
 
Now for the polenta itself. While waiting for water & broth to boil, take a small skillet or sauté pan and heat over high heat.
 
 
 
Add polenta and toast until lightly golden brown.
 
 
 
Reduce heat to low and slowly whisk the polenta into the broth.
 
 
Exchange my whisk for a wooden spoon to frequently stir the polenta until it thickens and begins to pull away from the sides of the saucepan.
 
 
Stir in some grated asiago cheese...oh yeah, some of the good stuff.
 
 
Add my mushroom mixture to the polenta and give it a stir to get everything well incorporated.
 
 
 
Add some fresh ground pepper...I like the multi-peppercorn in my pepper mill. It gives it a bit more subtle peppery taste. 
 
Then a little bit of sea salt.
 
 
Time to serve it up and enjoy some comfort food!
 
Cheesy Toasted Polenta with Mushrooms
 
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
 
Ingredients:
For Mushrooms
3 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbsp. Butter, unsalted
1/4 whole Red Onion, diced
8 oz. Package of Mushrooms (Cremini or Shitake), chopped
1 cup Dry White Wine
Sea Salt & Fresh Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
1 Tbsp. Fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp. Fresh Basil, chopped
 
For Polenta
2 cups Water
2 - 14 oz. cans Swanson's Chicken Broth - Low Sodium
1 1/2 cups Polenta
1/2 cup Grated Asiago Cheese (or Parmesan Cheese)
 
Instructions:
Clean mushrooms prior to chopping. Brush lightly with a damp cloth or paper towel. Do Not Rinse Off.
 
In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil and butter over high heat. Add onions and cook until they become soft.
 
Reduce heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms and cook until they become golden brown.
 
Add wine and increase heat to high. Allow it to cook until it is completely reduced.
 
Once wine has reduced, season the onions and mushrooms with salt & pepper.
 
Add parsley and basil, then remove from heat and set aside.
 
In a large saucepan, bring water and chicken broth to a boil. When water/broth comes to a boil, add 1 Tbsp. of sea salt.
 
While waiting for water & broth to boil, take a small skillet or sauté pan and heat over high heat. Add polenta and toast until lightly golden brown. Remove from heat.
 
Reduce heat to low under the saucepan and slowly whisk in the polenta.
 
Use a wooden spoon to frequently stir the polenta until it thickens and begins to pull away from the sides of the saucepan.
 
Add mushroom mixture and cheese to the polenta.
 
Taste and season with sea salt & pepper to taste.
 
 If polenta becomes too thick, just add a little bit of water. Remove from heat.
 
Then plate and serve!
 
 
Great with grilled chicken, beef or pork...especially Italian dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment