Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Purpose of The Valleys

"God wants to build our faith in the valleys. We love the mountaintops...but in the valleys we build our faith. When we come face to face with a dark valley, we get on our knees." ~ The Purpose Driven Life

This quote taken from The Purpose Driven Life stared me in the face every time I went into the kitchen during the month of March. I would glance over at it, read it and then not really take the time to contemplate it's truth. Whenever life is at it's "best" and there doesn't seem to be anything that urgently needs "fixing", it seems like my prayer life is far less active. Why is that? How come I'm not praying and giving thanks as much during the "rosey" times in life? And what a shame that is.

One evening, as I was washing the dishes and listening to my in-laws play Wheel Of Fortune with my little kiddles, I finally took the time to look over, read and think about what that simple statement meant. It was SO true. The times in my life when it seems like I can't control events that unfold, I sprint to the foot of God's throne and pray like there is no tomorrow. Up until I had my own family, it wasn't always like that. My prayer life was consistent, my devotional time was firmly set for 10p-11p every night and it seemed like I was constantly communicating with God.

These days it seems like I rush through my prayers and don't give thanks as much as I should for all of the little things that I have. (although I have been making more of a conscious effort to give thanks) Faith building never seems to be fun...seriously. But it's not when everything is going so peachy-keen that my faith is tested and strengthened. It truely is when I look around and feel like there is no other place to go but to God for help. And the help always seems to come in at the 11th hour...just when I want to throw my hands up and say, "forget it!" But God always comes through...even though it is usually not in the manner that I would have liked Him to work things out. He still has always taken care of me. And for that I am eternally greatful.

He is my Rock and my Shield for all time. That does not mean that I look forward to the valleys though, but I do understand their purpose.

Confession: I still love the mountaintops. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment