Monday, February 11, 2013

Awana Games!

 
This weekend we got to experience the Awana Games for the first time. If you have never experienced this, then you have missed out on mad capped kid-sized mayhem. 
 
Both of our girls are Sparkies for the first time this year.  When I was little I was in Awanas, and LOVED it!  So when my girls had the opportunity to join this year at another area church,  I was thrilled. Although I must admit that I was disappointed to see that the crowns I got to fill with jewels when I was little had been changed to pilot's wings.
 
If you have never heard of Awanas let me briefly explain.  There is a red vest, pilot's wings, jewels, badges, a study book, games and candy involved.  Every week the kids get together and review lessons, recite scripture verses they've memorized and play games to compete for the candy prize at the end of the night.  I love it because the girls get to learn the lessons of the bible like Deborah, Samson, David, Elijah and more.  And each lesson has a scripture verse or two for them to memorize. (I think us adults could use a program like this to get our little gray cells into gear memorizing God's Word.)

 
This is what proud Sparkies parents look like...when they didn't get enough sleep the night before. *haha*


And now to this weekend, the big event that all the kids look forward to participating in.  There is a strict guideline though, if you don't make it to the ONE practice session, you can't participate in the Awana Games!  This was a serious concern for my girls...in fact, I heard reminders  about 50 times a day up to the practice Saturday.  Needless to say we made it to that practice session.
 
This past Saturday morning there was excitement in the air...from one of my kiddles, Grace.  Rose had a totally different response to participating in the day's upcoming event. She was determined not to go. Not to play. Not to have any fun. 
 
It took confidence building and encouragement all the way to the high school gym. 
 
No good.
 
Didn't work. 


She sees one of her little friends walk into the gym...full speed run to the doors, bouncing with excitement and uncontrollable squeals. There is amazing power in friendship.
 
 
And in the hug of a grandparent.
 
 
We get inside and go head to the bleachers with all the other parents and grandparents.  Here's the view we get...little do we know that our girls are going to be on the far side of the gym. Figures.
 
Then look what I spy across the way...guaranteed fun.

 
One by one colored team shirts come walking in and line up on their respective sides of two very large square areas. 


The pledge of allegiance to the U.S. flag, to the Awana flag and to the Bible.  There seems to be some confusion as to which hand to use in covering one's heart.  An address to all of us in the stands is made along with an invitation to accept Jesus Christ as your Savior.


Then the whistle sounds and the chaos begins.

 
The first game was like watching a bunch of little cockroaches or Hexbugs try to make their way across the floor.  Even my actions setting couldn't keep up with them.  It was hysterical!  Then they had to do it again to get back to their original sides.


Beanbags came into play as they tried their best to balance them atop their heads and complete a circle back to the starting point.  This event had sudden stops, collisions and one kid that just took his time with his hands in his pockets. 


Just look at that concentration &determination! I was so proud of my girls...they dropped a couple times and then did everything they could to keep that bag on their heads...and sometimes foreheads.


Balloon volleyball anyone?! Oh my gosh, I wanted to jump in on this so bad!

 
 
The idea is not to miss the balloon...it didn't always happen that way. That was a swing and a miss.

 

This being one of Grace's favorite games, she was all smiles the whole way through.  And she got a few good hits too...just too fast for Momma to catch. (darn it!) 


Timid little faces appear as the dodge ball segment emerges...and my camera decides that it needs to be recharged. AGH!  So while they play I use my phone's back-up charger to give it a jolt for a few more pics.  (Thank you Charming for the brilliant idea!)


So a quick charge-up and we're back in business. (for a little while)  A train whistle blows and they're off!


The troops in the ranks entertain themselves with a bit of dancing while they wait for their turn to choo-choo.


I'm dying, trying to catch my breath as I watch the boys lead this train and the girls hold on for dear life. 

And then the camera dies again...and I have to deal with missing some hysterical moments during the balloon pop.  One little guy was too light and just couldn't get his balloon to pop...so an adult's foot had to come help him stop bouncing.

We all wait and wait...scores are being tallied...


South Reno Baptist Church wins 3rd Place!  Woohoo!!!  And a new patch is gained to adorn little red vests.  What a fun afternoon.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment