Monday, February 25, 2013

Simple Pinto Beans

 
 
 
My mother-in-law gave me this ultra simple recipe for making a perfect pot of pinto beans. These beans are perfect with Mexican dishes or over a warm slice of cornbread. (see Grandma Stella's Cornbread)
 
I start by sifting through pinto beans. Discarding all broken/halved/rotten beans...and any rocks that I come across. None of those listed add any value whatsoever to the final product.
 
 
Once I've finished sifting through the beans, I take 2 cups and set them aside. The remaining beans get stored, already sifted & ready for use, until another day.
 
 
 
Then I pour 4 cups of water into a large saucepan.
 
 
Add pinto beans to cold water to a large saucepan. I know that some people insist, but DO NOT presoak the beans!
 
 
Give'em a quick stir. I then turn up the heat and bring the beans and water to a boil over medium-high heat.
 
 
 
While I'm waiting for the pot to boil, I grab 2 cloves of garlic, give'em a good whack with a knife,
 
 
 
peel off the skins, and cut off the ends.
 
 
 
Now they're ready for the garlic press. (the easiest way of "mincing" garlic, aside from a mini food processor)
 
 
 
Once pot comes to a boil I add the beef bullion cubes, making sure to break them up before dropping them into the pot.
 
 
Then give the beans a gentle stir. Because the bullion doesn't disintegrate immediately, I try to help it along by mashing any chunks against the side of the pot at this time.
 
 
Then the garlic gets added and I bring heat level down to medium-low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
 
 
After 30 minutes of simmering, I add 1 cup of water. Then continue to simmer for 1 hour. After an hour of simmering, I add another 1-2 cup of water. (depending on how low the water level has gone) 

Continue to simmer for another 1 hour. Add final 1 cup of water and allow beans to simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour.  

Check beans for doneness. They should be tender throughout. If not, cook an additional 30 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
 
They are ready! Time to serve & enjoy! 

 
I love them with my Grandma Stella's Cornbread

Love this blog? Please click the Top Mommy Blogs banner every day! This casts a vote for my blog today and helps me continue to get great products to share with you! You can vote daily! Thank you so much!

Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory
 

Simple Pinto Beans
 
Prep Time: 10-20 minutes (varies)
Cook Time: 3-4 hours
Servings: 4-6
 
Ingredients:
2 Cups Dry Pinto Beans
4 Cups Water (to start)
2 Cubes Beef Bullion
1-2 Garlic Cloves, minced Sea Salt (to taste)
 
Instructions:
Start by sifting through pinto beans. Discard all broken/halved/rotten beans...and any rocks you come across.
 
Add pinto beans and water to a large saucepan. DO NOT presoak beans! Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
 
Once pot comes to a boil, add beef bullion cubes, garlic and bring heat level down to medium low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
 
After 30 minutes, add 1 cup of water. Continue to simmer for 1 hour.
 
Add 2 cups of water. Continue to simmer for 1 hour.
 
Add final 1 cup of water and allow beans to simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
 
Check beans for doneness. They should be tender throughout. If not, cook an additional 30 minutes. Season with salt to taste.

1 comment:

  1. Growing up in Mississippi as a little girl, beans were an everyday meal for us. If it wasn't pinto beans, it was navy, lima, northern, etc. I still cook them for myself every now and then, but my family is not into them. My husband's an island man, so he's only into red beans with rice. Just reading this post brings back memories. Visiting from Make It or Fix It Yourself! and will definitely be back...

    ReplyDelete