Wednesday, February 20, 2013

High Altitude Baking

I L-O-V-E, LOVE to bake!!!! But there's a small problem...which could become a HUGE mess. I am finding myself dealing with the issue of recipes which now all have to be adjusted due to high altitude living.
 
Unfortunately, I forgot this little tidbit when making some Pumpkin & Cream Cheese Bread.
 
 
Can we say, "AGH!"?
 
Rounded mounds resembling footballs protruding from the center of my little loafs were completely unexpected. Still delicious, but not exactly the look I was going for.
 
Now, I should have remembered the story that my mother-in-law told me...
 
"When we first moved up here I made a carrot cake. I ended up cleaning it up for hours."
 
When I asked her why it took hours her response was, "It exploded in the oven!"
 
Great, exploding cakes...just what a lover of baking wants to hear.
 
Okay, so I make this move from sunny Southern California...Temecula (wine country) to be exact, which has an elevation of 1,175...and now have to do alterations to all of my recipes so I can enjoy baking again.
 
Let's just say that I was not too thrilled at that thought.
 
Read the recipe, add the ingredients called for, get it in the oven and have a beautiful final product. That's how I like to do it.
 
So I figured that I would list some simple quick alterations that have to be done in order to avoid some high altitude baking mishaps. (you know, just incase you decide to bake while you're in a high altitude location)
 
High Altitude Baking Conversions
1.) Decrease the following items to 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon OR to 1/4 of the total amount called for: Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Cream of Tartar
 
2.) Decrease Sugar by 1 1/2 teaspoons per cup called for.
 
3.) Add 2 teaspoons of Flour to the amount called for.
 
4.) Increase liquids by 2 to 3 tablespoons per cup called for.
 
5.) DO NOT Change Temperature!


Love this blog? Please click the Top Mommy Blogs banner every day! This casts a vote for my blog today and helps me continue to get great products to share with you! You can vote daily! Thank you so much!

Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment