Thursday, February 28, 2013

Things Above


Colossians 3:12
New American Standard Bible  
12 Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.

When you consider the "things above", what do you think of?

Peace?
Joy?
Love?
Grace?
God seated on a brilliant white throne?
Jesus seated at God's right hand?
Images of a city more beautiful than anything that you've seen before?
Angels flying about? 

Heavenly things, the description in the Bible and accounts from those who have died and come back to life to share their experiences are comforting and bring joy and peace. They give us such a beautiful picture of what heaven is.  My mother's cousin has shared her experience when she died while in the hospital (several minutes later she came back to life) and described what she had seen in heaven.  One of the things that I have lodged in my memory of that account was that the colors couldn't even be described and that the flowers were like jewels.

The things of this earth can bring peace and comfort, but also tend to plague us with negativity, stress and heartache. It's so easy to get swept up in it all and forget just how much God really has for us.  How we can take a break away from the chaos that may be around us and have a mini vacation from it all.  Taking the time to read a passage from the Bible can instantly change my mood.

Try listening to some music that sings of praise to God, get caught up in singing along, perhaps even dancing a bit...it's amazing how just simple praise music can instantly start shifting the atmosphere around you.  I love it!!!  My girls will hear music on the radio, but they love listening and singing along with Christian music.

Knowing that one day I will be free from everything that drives me crazy, triggers anger and brings stress or sadness into my life, is such a comfort.  I know that there is no sadness in heaven, that there is nothing but peace and love and joy. 

Can you imagine if we could just find ONE town like that here on earth?  I'd be there in a heartbeat.

In the meantime, until I join my Savior, I'm choosing to make a conscious decision to reflect on the things of God.  Think about all of His promises for my life and my eternal life.  Those thoughts, those images are so sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment