Thursday, January 3, 2013

Stuffed French Toast ~ Pineapple & Sweet Cream

Years ago I used to go to a restaurant in Temecula, California called Columbo's. They had the most amazing stuffed French toast. I mean, this thing was absolutely addictive.

There was this sense of being almost regal as I made my way one delicious bite after another through that decadent French toast...it seriously felt like it should only be served to royalty.

I hadn't thought of it in years and it just hit me when I went to make breakfast for my kiddles one morning. "I need to make a stuffed French toast this morning." And I couldn't get it out of my head.

So there I was with this intense craving which pushed me to come up with my own stuffed French toast recipe.

Here we go, I start off by taking 2 ounces of cream cheese (I didn't say that this was going to be kind to your hips)

 
and mash it so there isn't just a big block of cheese in the bowl.


Then I add just a touch of vanilla extract. It doesn't take much to make something taste perfectly heavenly.


A little bit of powdered sugar, just to sweeten the cream cheese a bit.


Now for the fruit. I happened to have some crushed pineapple, so, why not? Drained and super sweet...perfect.


Time to spread on our cheese topping. Only on one side though, and not to the edges. The idea is to keep the filling inside the French toast, not running out the edges.


Place another slice on top and we are ready for dipping this little sandwich into some egg mix. One step closer!


Into a pie tin go two eggs and some cinnamon. You just can't have French toast without cinnamon.


A little surprise...some more vanilla extract. It just seems that this needs to happen...every time anyone makes French toast. But that's just my stance on it.


Give everything a little whip...but try not to get going too fast. It can cause cinnamon to fly everywhere...trust me, I know. There was a little clean-up before I snapped this shot.


Skillet is getting nice and hot...time to add a couple pats of butter. Move those pats of butter around the pan and get it all bubbly for our stuffed French toast.


Take stuffed French toast #1 and lay it in the egg mixture. Allow it to sit for about 45-60 seconds to absorb some of the egg and cinnamon,


then flip it over carefully and allow the backside to do the same.


Into the skillet it goes for about 3-5 minutes over medium high heat, depending on the stove.


I move my assembly line to the side of the stove. It just makes it so much easier to get the drenched toast to the skillet.


Check out that bubbling butter! When the cinnamon hits it you are just rewarded with this wonderful aroma...instant feel good.


Okay, this has been cooking for about 4 minutes and was time to flip it over. I like to check the doneness of the toast at the 3 minute mark by just quickly lifting the toast with my spatula so that I can see what the middle looks like.

Golden brown is what I'm looking for.


Then let it cook for another 3-5 minutes on the other side...be patient because the reward is so good!


Plate our first stuffed French toast and cut it on the diagonal then add a couple pats of butter. A light dusting of powdered sugar and then drizzle a little bit of syrup and we're good to go! (I like the butter flavor syrup for this one.)



Cut a little corner of this slice of heaven...take a moment to fully appreciate all of the flavors that hit the tongue...

Oh yeah, this is perfect!

Stuffed French Toast ~ Pineapple & Sweet Cream

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Servings: 2

Ingredients:
Filling:
2 oz. Cream Cheese
1/4 cup Crushed Pineapple
1 tsp. Powdered Sugar
1/4 tsp. Vanilla Extract

Toast:
2 Eggs
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon, ground
1/8 tsp. Vanilla Extract
4 slices Bread (white or whole wheat)

Directions:
Take cream cheese and mash it with a fork.

Add vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Mix together.

Drain & add crushed pineapple. Carefully add to the cream cheese mixture so that the pineapple does not release too much juice.

Take two slices of bread. Spread half of the cheese filling onto one slice of bread. When applying the filling, leave a margin of 1/4" from the edge of the bread. This is so that the filling will not ooze out of the sides during cooking.

Place the second slice of bread on top, making a sandwich.

Repeat process with remaining two slices.

In a pie dish or tin add eggs, cinnamon and vanilla.  Whisk together until well incorporated and slightly frothy.

Place one of the sandwiches into the egg mixture. Allow it to set 40-60 seconds.

Flip the sandwich over and allow it to set for an additional 40-60 seconds.

Then repeat the process with the second sandwich.

Heat a large skillet or griddle to medium high heat.

Melt a couple pats of butter and spread it over the area where the French toast will cook.

Place one or both sandwiches in the skillet and allow it to cook for 3-5 minutes. Check the doneness of the French toast at 3 minutes by lifting it with a spatula to check the center.

When golden brown, flip the sandwich over and allow the other side to cook for 3-5 minutes until golden brown.

Plate with a couple pats of butter, a dusting of powdered sugar and syrup of choice. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment